Walmart, Sam’s Club and St. Mary’s Food Bank Kick-Off 2019 “Fight Hunger. Spark Change” CampaignApril 24, 2019
13th Annual Super Saturday Turkey DriveNovember 5, 2019
“GO ORANGE,” AND TAKE ACTION IN SEPTEMBER WITH OUR 30 WAYS IN 30 DAYS TO HELP THOSE IN NEED AND SUPPORT THE FIGHT AGAINST HUNGER
Phoenix – The World’s First Food Bank celebrates its 52nd year feeding Arizona’s hungry in 2019-20 and will kick things off in September by raising awareness and encouraging the public to make a special effort to help those in need during Hunger Action Month.
One in six Arizonans struggle with hunger each day of the year. One in four Arizona children in our state aren’t getting three meals a day. But these numbers can change if we all take action, support St. Mary’s and earn some great benefits for yourself in the process.
How can you help? St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance’s “30 Ways in 30 Days” Hunger Action Month calendar, presented by Fry’s Food Stores, provides an action or activity for every day in September so all Arizonans can step forward and help those struggling with food insecurity.
It can be as simple as making a cup of coffee or a brown-bag lunch at home and donating what you would have spent that day to help the hungry – every dollar donated will allow St. Mary’s to distribute enough food for SEVEN meals. Or you can take advantage of many ways to donate time, food or funds alongside some of the many local businesses who have stepped up during Hunger Action Month.
“Hunger Action Month is a great way for everyone to find their favorite way to fight hunger,” St. Mary’s President and CEO Tom Kertis said. “We thank all of the businesses and organizations who are taking part and a special thank you Fry’s as our 2019 calendar presenter.”
Some of the great events planned for the month include:
- West Valley Nothing Bundt Cakes locations will donate 100 percent of all money spent at their stores on Tuesday, Sept. 17 to the food bank with a goal of providing 100,000 meals for St. Mary’s.
- Donate your change or make a special gift at the register at any Safeway or Albertsons location during the 3TV Battle Against Childhood Hunger all during September.
- Enjoy a day of fun at Castles N’ Coasters on Sunday Sept. 29. A donation of 10 canned food items per person (canned fruits and vegetables and peanut butter ONLY) earns entrance and access to all the rides for just $10! That’s the lowest price all year, so get ready to take advantage!
- Makutu’s Island in Chandler will be offering free admission for an entire week (Sept. 23-27) with a donation of 10 cans of food to St. Mary’s.
Others are helping raise awareness by using Orange – the color of hunger – to remind everyone of those in need.
- Arizona’s tallest building, the 483-foot Chase Tower, will glow orange every Wednesday night during September and on GO ORANGE DAY, Thursday, Sept. 12.
- To celebrate national “Go Orange Day” on Thursday Sept. 12, Arizona politicians and TV news personalities will mark the day by wearing orange clothing. Dozens of volunteers from US Foods, clad in orange shirts, will be packing food boxes at St. Mary’s.
There are many other ways to help and many other companies and groups holding events or volunteering their time during Hunger Action Month. Log on to stmarysfoodbank.org for a full calendar of “30 Ways in 30 Days” activities. Click on each calendar square to read about that day’s event. Pick out the ones that appeal to you – or better yet, come up with your own idea to help and let us know what you’re up to on Facebook or Twitter so we can help spotlight your efforts!