What is Shopping?
Shopping is a program offered to our partner agencies which allows them to come in and shop for the programs at little to no cost up to 5 days a week. There is produce, dairy, meat, bread and snacks always available. If interested, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a tour and/or to schedule an appointment.
In order to expedite the check-out process; please adhere to the following:
- Separate product by category while you are shopping:
- Cart 1: Bread and Cooler items
- Cart 2: Freezer, Dry, and Non-food items
If you are only utilizing one cart, please separate on the cart to the best of your ability
- Stack your coolers on top of one another for accessibility
- All coolers are subject to search
- Ensure that your coolers are not buried under product
If a 3rd cart is needed to adequately sort product, please see a shopping association for approval.
General Rules and Common Courtesies
- Respect other agencies by only taking exactly what product you need; clean up after yourself in the cooler and freezer; don’t remove items off of other agencies carts
- Food can’t touch the floor at any time, please ensure that you are keeping all product in appropriate containers.
- Bread racks and green crates cannot leave the Food Bank
- It is your responsibility to bring your own coolers and totes
- All carts and coolers are subject to search
- Each Agency has 1 hour to shop – reminders may be given when your time is almost up
- Each Agency has 1 hour to shop – colored band must be displayed when in the shopping area (a 15 minute announcement will be made when your hour is almost up).
- Only 2 people allowed in the shopping area at a time – all others will be asked to wait outside (special circumstances must be approved by the shopping supervisor or a shopping associate – only 1 additional person will be allowed)
- Only 1 person per agency is allowed around a bin or pallet. This allows for each agency to have the same chance at the product.
- All items must be weighed out at check out (This includes each case of the same product).
- No cell phones are allowed to be in use on the shopping area floor.
- No flip-flops/open toe shoes or sleeveless shirts are allowed in the shopping area.
- Once you get in line, your shopping time has ended.
- All shopping must be done from the pallets (moving product to your cart to sort through and then putting what you don’t want back is prohibited)
- No removing items from a cart. All carts in the shopping area belong to an agency. Only put or remove product from your own cart(s).
- No Weighing Product in advance
- Agencies must check-in together
- No agencies behind the shopping desk without prior approval from a shopping team associate.
- No standing on pallets or carts at any time. SAFETY FIRST
Thank you for your cooperation and support in making the shopping area a safe place to be
How many people can shop at a time?
- Two people per agency are allowed to be in the shopping area at any one time. (If special arrangements need to be made, approval may be requested to the Agency Shopping Supervisor or an Agency Shopping Associate – approval will be on a case by case basis and will allow for no more than one additional person)
How many carts are allowed in the shopping area at any one time?
- Two carts per agency are allowed in the shopping area at any one time.
- Please limit yourself to one cart in the cooler and/or freezer at a time.
How long am I allowed to shop for?
- Each agency has an hour to shop from their assigned shopping time.
- If you are on time, but SMFBA causes you a delay, you will receive your full 60 minutes to shop.
- If you are late, you will be given the remaining time in your hour to shop.
- If you arrive more than 15 minutes late for your scheduled time, you may have to wait behind any agencies that arrived at their scheduled time.
- If you are early, you may ask to shop early, if space permits. If space does not permit, you will be asked to wait outside or in a designated area.
What happens if I am running late or am unable to make my scheduled shopping time?
Are there limits on certain items?
- Daily limits may apply to some of the more popular items (please check the board between the coolers and freezers or with a shopping associate for details)