Hunger Statistics in Arizona
- Currently more than 1 in 4 children, 1 in 5 Arizonans, and 1 in 7 seniors in Arizona live in poverty. *
- Arizona’s hunger rates are higher than national averages: 19.1% of Arizonans are food insecure, compared to 16.4% nationally, and 29.9% of Arizonan children face hunger, compared to 22.4% nationally.
- Arizona ranks third in the country for high child food insecurity rates, behind only New Mexico and D.C., with 478,420 children facing hunger on a daily basis.
- 2 million Arizonans are considered working poor, living at or below the Federal Poverty Guideline. This is the majority of those served by the Food Bank’s emergency food box program.
- More than 40% of the households receiving emergency food assistance have at least one person who is working.
*Based on Feeding America’s Map the Meal Gap study of 2011