In Arizona, close to half of our children live in families that are considered ‘the working poor.’ This means that one in four children in Arizona lives in poverty and is at risk of going to bed hungry in our community tonight. Sadly, forward progress remains slow in the fight to alleviate child hunger. Since 2006, Arizona has ranked 3rd nationally in the number of children who may not know where their next meal is coming from. A child missing meals on a consistent basis:
• Is sick more often;
• has difficulty concentrating and performs significantly lower in school;
• has higher instances of aggressive and anxious behavior problems;
• is more susceptible to lifelong health problems.
At St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance, our vision is that no child goes to bed hungry so they can live healthy and productive lives. So what are we doing about it? In response to these needs, St. Mary’s Food Bank operates programs that help fight child hunger:
• We collaborate with schools, community center and other neighborhood groups to provide free, healthy meals in afterschool and summer programs.
• We distribute more than 30,000 Emergency Food Boxes each month at no cost to families and individuals in need.
• We operate a Mobile Pantry program at more than 40 locations in both rural and urban areas bringing truckloads of fruits, vegetables, and bread to entire neighborhoods in need.
Since its inception in 2001, our annual Golf Open has raised more than $650,000 to help fight child hunger in our State. That support has helped us provide more than 4.5 Million meals to children struggling with hunger. With your help, we can accomplish even more.
For more details or questions, please contact Gina Irons at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join our email newsletter and help fight hunger in Arizona.